Facilitation and managing "out-of-school" events
The aim of the seminar is to give teachers, trainers and facilitators knowledge on methods and ideas for the facilitation and management of “out-of-school” events. The participants will gain first hand experience through real life tasks. Field trips, hiking and adventure can have a very positive impact, we will explore variety of experience and journeys that can take place in the school regi, and how we gain the maximum benefit.
The seminar has focus on the facilitati on of the experience and the planning. Through several activities we will deal with situations and settings that are valuable moments of learning and reflection.
The duration of the seminar is 7 days, with a short closing session on day nr. 6. The seminar starts at 15:00 Sunday afternoon.
The seminar location is in the center of Reykjavik and Reykjavik surroundings, with access to several great outdoor areas in the nearby surroundings.
The seminar consists of lectures, workshops, field trips, observations, hands-on learning, discussions, tasks and physical activities, and as well social activities and exchange. All build op to make a maximal gain for the participants.
Each day of the seminar is divided in two parts, morning session and afternoon session. Furthermore will each day be dedicated to a certain topic or field. The morning session will consist of indoors lectures, tasks and discussions with overview of theories, best practices, examples of outdoor education and its field. The afternoon session will consist of outdoor workshops, hands-on learning, observations and activities, where we will try and experience the learning gained from the morning session, creating a comprehensive understanding and ability to achieve the tools and means provided.
The objectives of the seminar are:
• To provide training in panning and preparation of challenge and experience journeys for teenagers and young adults
.• To learn and practice facilitation of experience, reflection, generalization, application and transformation
• To introduce programs that connect pupils to nature, society and self through direct experience
• To Practical planning and arrangement, risk assessment and administration of out-of-school events
• To learn ways to provide Support and guidance
• To study and discuss the pedagogic of journey and trips, providing enriched experience through all activities, relati on and context oriented tasks